.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Laboratory of the Mind

An experiment in embracing the blogosphere.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Lecturing and Computer Use

I am a lecturer in DIT, and I find it to be both very rewarding and incredibly frustrating at the same time.

I teach basic computing and IT skills in various business courses in the Aungier St part of DIT and so a lot of my students tend to be clueless (at least initially).

Having to repeat yourself over and over, and having the students not understand the very basics of computer use came as something as a shock to me initially, but I am (slowly) getting used to it.

What I find even more surprising is that IT skills for my first year students is not improving.

I would have naturally assumed that teenagers would be comfortable with technology, or more comfortable than they were ten years ago. That does not seem to be the case.

My new students are certainly more technologically aware than we were ten years ago, but a huge majority of them still do not know how to copy files onto a floppy or USB key.

I find this staggering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home