.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Laboratory of the Mind

An experiment in embracing the blogosphere.

Friday, February 25, 2005

In Defense of My Teaching Policies

In light of my previous post, it is time to be flippant.

Today, during class, my students accused me of being mean.

Computer rooms are plentiful over here in DIT Aungier Street, just not for the casual user.

[Side note: Isn't it interesting the way causal and casual are almost the same? I must remind myself to think about this in the future]

Classes are constantly running in a lot of the labs, but I have been allocated some of the easier access ones.

This, combined with the fact that very few students tend to show up to some of the classes, means that students are constantly trying to interrupt my class to read their email.

My body has responded with a highly-sophisticated response and defense mechanism for this perpetual assault. I drone out "Sorry there is a class on in here."

Today, my students, having heard this what I can only assume was the thirtieth time, asked me if I liked saying it.

I was surprised. How could uttering such a drone be enjoyable? Do I have the appearance of a masochist?

"No," I told them, "I just enjoy the look of disappointment on their faces."

They believed me and accused me of being nasty.

I was very hurt.

The truth is that I am too lazy to put a "Class on in here, Go away" type message.

Still, it is good to be feared.

1 Comments:

At 25/2/05 11:46, Blogger John Bryson said...

sounds like you are really getting the hang of embracing the world of blogs. It's interesting to see someone's personality change on a blog....sort of a different venue..stop by my blog every now and again and let me know what you think, I think you'd like it.
peace,
john
"Things I wish I had"
www.frankenweinie.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home