.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Laboratory of the Mind

An experiment in embracing the blogosphere.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Mick the Chef

Well, it is four days since everyone ate my lasagne and my rice dish. Since no-one has died or even complained of stomach-ache, I feel confident in declaring it a success.

I had ten people over for dinner on Friday night. I cooked two huge lasagne. Concerned by quantity, my chicken, mushroom, ham and soy sauce dish, served with rice and grated cheese, was added to the fare, circumventing the problem of having a wheat-intolerant guest.

By tradition, the guests supplied the dessert. A huge tub of ice-cream and a fantastic chocolate pavlova served with fresh cream and raspberries duly arrived. Copious amounts of alcohol was drank, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

The highlight of the night was discovering that the pavlova was conceived at 0500 that morning. Her intent was to bring nothing. Unfortunately, she realised the consequences of this, and allowing me to hold something over her forever was too much to bear. She hauled herself out of bed at the ungodly hour, and the baking commenced.

Upon hearing her logic, my friend nodded in assent and remarked "Mick, you are a walking no-win situation."

Once we had eaten, the brutal assault on the wine began as did the inevitable character assassinations. We all had a tremendous night, and I certainly hope to repeat it soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home