.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Laboratory of the Mind

An experiment in embracing the blogosphere.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Blazing Saddles

I learned something shocking today about this classic comedy by Mel Brooks.

Most of my students have never heard of it.

Right now, many of you are asking yourselves why I would know this. What does Blazing Saddles have to do with computers, Michael? Were you dossing in class again? There was a lot of Aphrodite-blessed females in the class, wasn't there Mick?

In my defense, my reference was relevant. I was discussing security, and how pointless it is when easily bypassed - just like the Le Petomane Thruway toll booth in Blazing Saddles. Such a toll booth was set up somewhere in the US. Unsurprisingly, people just drove around it.

I finally managed to find one knowledgeable student. He had heard of it. He had not seen it. I felt vindicated anyway.

All of you students who read this blog, consider this an order: watch Blazing Saddles. It is appallingly politically incorrect (which makes it even funnier) and undeniably silly, but hilariously funny nevertheless.

I wish I could sit here and write more about it, but I have a class starting in a minute.

Questions about how the Godfather is relevant to database design will not be entertained. Questions about the gender statistics will be entertained even less.

1 Comments:

At 7/4/05 10:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI Blazing Saddles is on tv3 on the 1st of May 11.30

 

Post a Comment

<< Home