.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Laboratory of the Mind

An experiment in embracing the blogosphere.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Getting Sloppy

Looking at my articles, I have just realised that I have not posted here for almost two weeks, which is terrible.

Part of this is having a lack of anything profound to say. Over the summer, I have less time to kill, as I do not teach in DIT, instead spending my days developing software or finishing my PhD.

The inevitable consequence of this is a much higher motivation requirement to write an article. I have been very busy over the last few weeks trying to finish a side-project on a deadline. This is almost done, allowing me to finish my research and submit my PhD dissertation.

Other than that, life has been very boring of late, so there is not much to write about.

I do wish to mention a friend who is currently working in Banda Aceh for Concern, helping with the tsunami relief. She emailed another friend the other day. He had told her I asked after her occasionally. It seems she is put out that I have not spent the last eight months alone in my room, sobbing like a baby, disconsolate at her absence. I found that quite funny.

I am looking forward to her returning. She is pretty crazy, and very easy to wind up in all sorts of entertaining ways.

2 Comments:

At 20/7/05 20:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your adoring public is hurt, by your admission. You have a duty to enrich the lives of your fans.

 
At 25/7/05 09:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah-ha - Phase 2 - Creeping disenchantment. The novelty of keeping a blog having run out, the blogger begins to find posting becoming more of a chore.

Blogs frequently evolve in one of two directions in this phase:

(A): a diahorrea of daily (or sometimes more than daily) entries containing the minutae of the blogger's life ("Got up; brushed my teeth - the usual 20 stokes per tooth; 25 for the molars, because my dentist, Dr. Smorgesboard says that 76% of cases of tooth loss in adults occur in the molars..." etcetcetc).

(B): slowly dwindling numbers of entries, until at last weeks and months go by without update, and the blog is left lying about gathering dust like a once favourite toy now consigned to a packing case in the attic. The blog equivalent of letting a christmas puppy starve to death.

Remember kids, a blog's not just for Christmas...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home