.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Laboratory of the Mind

An experiment in embracing the blogosphere.

Friday, July 08, 2005

War of the Worlds

[Note: this blog was written a few days before I posted it. I think this could be a new practise of mine]

I am just at home from having watched War of the Worlds in the cinema. The film impressed me.

Everything Independance Day was not, it is a tense, clever and engaging remake of a sci-fi classic. Having never seen the original, I am not in a position to opine on how they compare.

There are some truly disturbing bits, and it fully deserved its 15 rating here in Ireland. A number of things about the film stood out though.

Primarily, the film explains very little. You leave the theatre with many questions, and I really like that. Too many films leave nothing to doubt. I like the ambiguity.

Secondly, the main character is not admirable. An appalling father, his introduction is not flattering. This is not revolutionary, but it is unusual, and the film is better for it.

Finally, War of the Worlds is subtle. The main character falls apart in a very clever way. The film does not always do the obvious.

Saying any more would necessitate spoiling the film. Go see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home