.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Laboratory of the Mind

An experiment in embracing the blogosphere.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

[Spartak] Friendly at Fenstanton

The friendly on Sunday was my first outing for the first team this season. I was on the team at the end of last season playing at centre-half, where I played well, but the team had an influx of some players during pre-season, so it seems that my role will be reduced to a bit part again.

While personally disappointed, I want to play at as high a standard as I can, this is a positive development for the club. The first team should set the bar for the club, and that has not happened over the last few seasons.

So far, we look good this year. A vast improvement on previous years, our team is fitter, more competitive, and most important, more reliable. We have had a lot of trouble getting numbers on a Sunday morning, and the manager finally snapped during the preseason. I think it is fair to say that talented messers will not see much football this year.

Anyway, Fenstanton are a team a bit below our standard, but they agreed to play us anyway. Our starting team was Massey, Dunne, O'Toole, K. Buckley, Caffrey, Mongey, W. O'Connell, K. O'Connell, Tom, Byrne, Delaney.

Caffrey pulled up injured very early and was replaced by Dan O'Connell, with O'Toole moving inside. We played well, with our midfield controlling most of the play and our defense giving up very little.

I was sprung from the bench after about 30 mins to replace Dunne (just back from injury) and went straight in at right-back. We were 2-0 up at the time, the goals coming from Byrne and Delaney.

I would love to say that the three goals we scored within five minutes of my entry into the fray was causal, but it had little to do with it. I am still not fully comfortable at this level, and I think it is nerves.

I have a tendency to rush forward somewhat rashly, as this is my natural game, and you cannot do that at this level. The wingers are too fast and skillful, and you will be punished for being exposed at the back.

In the second half, we really took over, adding another two goals. My best moment came on a forward run as I beat my marker (surprising considering my lack of pace) and brought it to the by-line. Looking up, I cut the ball back straight to Steve Mongey who yelled "Oh Lovely!!!" just before he blasted it a foot over the bar.

Somehow, after the game, I still got the grief for that miss, because Steve told everyone he missed it cos he never expected me to get to the ball! My teammates are bastards sometimes.

Finishing 7-0, despite the weak opposition, was a good result. It has been a while since our team have put teams away in the clinical fashion of Sunday, and I am now quietly confident for our prospects for the coming year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home