.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Laboratory of the Mind

An experiment in embracing the blogosphere.

Monday, August 22, 2005

[Spartak] Premier Sat at Rathfarnham Punters

The first match of the season is always a strange game for me.

Due to the constant personnel changes and variable opposition in pre-season friendlies, I never have a good sense of the strength of our team for the coming season. It has always been the first competitive game that provides the indication.

The starting line-up was somewhat controversial: Massey, Keane, Cooney, Benson, J. Tannem, D. Tannem, Stafford, Gibney, Brehony, MacAuley, Kelly. Subs: O'Connell for Gibney, McNamee for MacAuley, Mohan for Stafford.

A number of the team have poor attendance records at training, and a number of better trainers were left on the line. It is not my place to comment on the selection policy of the management, however, I merely wished to make note of it.

Playing at left-back, I still have not managed to settle in the defense. My marking was erratic, but I feel that some of the blame has to go to the defensive unit as a whole. I was constantly being sucked into the middle to pick up free forwards, and confusion was far too common in the first half.

I did manage to get forward a few times to support the attack, and we created a few chances, with Brehony breaking through to finish coolly for the first goal of the season. It was slightly against the run of play however, and we did not get much of a grip on midfield.

Much of our play was erratic, with a lot of balls hoofed forward. Fluid and flowing football it most certainly was not.

Their equaliser came just after half-time. We defended much too deep from a free kick, and the Punters forward got on the end of the cross and scored. They then took the lead a few minutes later through a terrible mixup in the back which gifted the Punters a simple tap-in.

Gibney had aggravated his muscle strain, and Dan O'Connell replaced him, moving me into centre midfield. Dan is a great little player and fit right in. Free to put my complaints into practise, I tried to impose myself in the middle, and felt like I performed decently.

With Dan's pace on the left, and myself and Stafford competing more physically in the middle, we imposed ourselves more, finally getting a deserved equaliser on the break from a corner. I played the ball on the turn through to Brehony, who slipped it inside to Kelly to coolly finish.

With the game in the balance, and the sun beating down, the game ebbed and flowed, finishing a draw. Overall, it was probably a fair result. There are still a few questions over some of our players, and we still lack bite in a number of areas. Still, a result is a result, as they say, and Rathfarnham Punters are a decent side. We have another match tonight away at Peamount, so I will reserve judgement on our side until after this game.

1 Comments:

At 22/8/05 23:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe next time you could tell your adoring public about matches before they happen :)
'Twould be nice to see the live version for once

 

Post a Comment

<< Home