.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Laboratory of the Mind

An experiment in embracing the blogosphere.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

[Spartak] Premier Sat at Peamount

This was a very disappointing defeat for me.

Three games in three days was a daunting prospect, especially when I try to play the way I want. This usually involves a lot of running and my legs were very tired going into the game. Part of me feared that I would not be up to it.

The starting team was Foley, Greene, O'Connell, Keane, J. Tannem, Cooney, Gibney, Stafford, Brehoney, Dawson, Nolan. Subs: McNamee for Nolan, Mohan for Gibney.

I was initially playing at left-fullback, but MacAuley was not fit to start, so O'Connell came in and I was moved into the right-side of midfield. Being honest, I was delighted. O'Connell would start in every one of my teams, and our midfield lacks competitiveness, so I was now in a position to help.

We started quite sluggish, and they are a poorer team than Rathfarnham were at the weekend. My legs were very stiff and it took me a long time to warm up and get into the game, despite getting on the ball a few times early on in.

Their goal came from a free-kick just outside the area. Curling high towards the crossbar, it hit the underside, bounced straight down onto the keeper's foot and went in. It was a very unfortunate goal, but these things happen in football.

It was the only time they really threatened us. They had a few attacks, but nothing very major, and I think we need to mark this game down as a bad defeat. We put on the pressure, and a created a number of chances, but could not break them down.

There are a number of problems with the team. We have a bunch of very decent players, and the potential to be a good team is very evident. Unfortunately, we are not used to playing together yet, due to the fragmented nature of our preseason, with players and management not being sure of the squads they had to work with.

A second reason is the lack of real competitiveness. Some of our players are not nearly physical enough. On the attack, especially, we are very easy knocked off the ball, and a number of promising possessions broke down very easily, with a defender dispossessing our player and coming out with it.

This is very evident when it comes to free kicks and dead balls. Peamount played it short from deadballs at least 80% of the time, and we were very slow to close them down. While this is not true for the whole team, I do feel that there are a number of players on the team who need to up the commitment levels.

It is not all negative. Most of the things we need are in place. Quite a few of our players look to do the right thing and play it on the ground. Sometimes, the ball needs to fly, but even then, that is usually because our midfield (including myself) are not trying hard enough to be in a position to receive it comfortably.

Also, should we gain that competitive attitude, I think our team will do well. A lot of this will come once our team begins to gel, and hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later.

We did have a clear-cut penalty denied us near the end, Dawson being cut down in the box and then getting booked for diving. which even the opposition admitted after the game, and that may have changed things. Also, in injury time, a corner came across but a mix-up between our players resulted in the ball going wide.

My own game was decent enough, and I did a lot of running by the end of the game once my legs finally warmed up. It was very tough going though, and I was exhausted by the end. One personally memorable moment came when I turned my marker in a fifty-fifty ball which brought a huge cheer from the lads along the line. I was too busy to enjoy it at the time, but I do look back on it with a smile. Getting a huge cheer from your team is always a boost. Yet again, there was a decent crowd along the line, and I really like that about this year. Our team spirit is quite strong.

Still, our record for the start of the season is 1-from-6, which is not the start I was hoping for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home