.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Laboratory of the Mind

An experiment in embracing the blogosphere.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Freedom

While it did feel very strange for a few days after submission, I have quickly become used to not being a student any more (though I am making the assumption here that I will pass my viva).

It was a few days before I realised that a number of things that were previously verboten were okay again. As an example, I derived an obscene amount of pleasure from visiting Laser Video on George's Street last weekend, despite not actually renting anything.

Also, I raided my cousin's apartment for DVDs and attempted unsuccessfully to get an Unlimited Card for the UGC Cinema (or CineWorld as it is now known). More about that stupidity another time.

Other freedoms were more obvious. I was supposed to do work on Tuesday (my free day from DIT), but decided that staying in my apartment and playing computer games, sleeping late and dossing was a much more productive use of my time.

Surprisingly, my doss time was not nearly as wasteful as I imagined. Putting everything on hold led to the inevitable result that there were a few things to deal with once I re-emerged into the light of civilisation. I ended up being much more productive in the week following my submission than I had hoped to be.

Now I am back lecturing in DIT, and I have no excuse to avoid activities such as "prepare class overheads in advance" or "prepare class assignments". Still, I like using LaTeX for class notes, so once I get into it, it will be fine.

3 Comments:

At 10/11/05 13:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What - stuff like tidying that sty of a new flat of yours, for example?

tC
Suffering penthouse envy.

 
At 10/11/05 13:45, Blogger Gynax Gallenor said...

Nah, that got done already when the Legend's mother came to visit over the weekend.

It does need a hoovering though. I'll do that tonight.

 
At 10/11/05 14:21, Blogger Rustynails9 said...

Make sure you do, I expect the place to be spotless for poker tomorrow night. Afterall you've been saying it needs a hoover since you moved in...that's a LONG time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home